Read what happened as Simon Davies’ side hosted Tottenham in the Premier League 2…

A hat-trick from captain Lukas Nmecha and a stunner from Phil Foden sealed a 4-2 win for City, having gone 2-0 down in the first half.

Spurs took the lead courtesy of Shayon Harrison and Kazaiah Sterling, but City fought back to claim all three points.

What happened

Little happened in the first 20 minutes at the Academy Stadium and neither side created clear-cut opportunities.

City did, however, enjoy the majority of the possession early in the game.

The visitors took the lead in the 21st minute when Harrison’s fast-flying free-kick curled into the top left corner, and Daniel Grimshaw’s outstretched hand could do little to prevent the strike.

Six minutes later and Tottenham doubled their lead.

This time, Sterling headed in a deflected effort into the top right corner from close range.

The game was a physical one, and Foden slalomed around Tottenham’s defence to find himself enough space to score.

The England starlet found a tight angle close to Whiteman’s right post, but connected with the ball beautifully to smash it into the inside roof of the net.

City were unable to grab another before the break, but moments of magical play could be spotted before the whistle.

At one stage Foden collected Tottenham’s high ball and headed directly onto Tom Dele-Bashiru’s chest before pressing forward.

Fans at the Academy Stadium didn’t have to wait too long for their equaliser through, which was delivered six minutes into the second-half courtesy of Nmecha.

Brahim Diaz cleverly sashayed around Tottenham’s defence, but unable to take a clear-cut shot, he passed to the oncoming Nmecha - who collected the ball before finishing with an excellent strike.

Nmecha’s ball whipped into the top corner of Whiteman’s net and made it 2-2 at the 51st minute.

Foden proved to be in inspired form following his first team debut.

Time and again he evaded Spurs players with ease, with the speed of his unexpected movements dizzying to watch.

Moving into the final 15 minutes frustrations were high as Nmecha was certain he should’ve been awarded a penalty, but the referee stood firm with his decision and continued with play.

Tensions were growing and altercation between Tosin Adarabioyo and Spurs skipper Japhet Tanganga saw both players booked.

Then, in the 80th minute in came Nmecha – again!

The captain appeared from almost nowhere to knock in his second of the afternoon and his third wasn’t far round the corner.

In the 88th minute, he won and converted a penalty to seal his hat-trick and victory for City.

How they lined up

Grimshaw took his place in goal, while Joel Latiebeaudiere, Adarabioyo, Ed Francis and Jacob Davenport made up the defence.

In midfield, Simon Davies started  Dele-Bashiru, Diaz and Foden.

Nmecha was upfront for City and flanked by Javairo Dilrosun and Taylor Richards.

What does it mean

City’s emphatic victory means that the Blues move up to seventh place in the Premier League 2 standings on 13 points.

What’s next

Next up, City head to the Proact Stadium on Wednesday 29 November to face Chesterfield in the Checkatrade trophy, kick-off at 7pm.