Men's Team

England held on record night for City stars

England must wait until next month to secure a place at next year's World Cup after drawing 1-1 with Hungary.

On an historic night for Manchester City, half of England’s outfield starting XI were City players – a new Club record - with John Stones, Kyle Walker, Phil Foden, Jack Grealish and Raheem Sterling beginning the game against Hungary.


But the Hungarians fully deserved their point at Wembley.

With Albania and then San Marino next for the Three Lions, Gareth Southgate’s men knew victory would have almost certainly sealed qualification for Qatar 2022 – a task that has so far been achieved with minimum fuss.

Four more points from those final two games will guarantee a spot in Qatar.

And what a thrilling prospect for City fans to know that - when qualification is secured - so many of our players are part of what is generally considered to be Southgate’s first choice side.

In front of almost 70,000 fans in a game marred by crowd trouble among the visiting supporters, England looked to continue their impressive Group I form.

But despite bossing the majority of the first half, it was the Hungarians who took the lead when Luke Shaw’s high boot as Loic Nego went to head the ball in the box and Roland Sallai converted the resulting penalty.

Foden’s energy and inventiveness was at the heart of most of England’s best moves, with Grealish a constant threat on the left flank.

And when the leveller came for Gareth Southgate’s men, there seemed an air of inevitability that it would be goal made by Manchester City.

Grealish was fouled on the right of the Hungary box, and as Foden’s free-kick came in, it brushed off Declan Rice and Stones prodded home from a couple of yards out – just ahead of Sterling alongside him.

Sterling then went close just before break with a double attempt that ended with a shot wide of the post.

Sterling was lively down the right flank without reward, while Walker - winning cap No.64 - was kept busy by the adventurous Hungarian counter-attack.

Grealish's evening was ended on 62 minutes when he was replaced by Bukayo Saka.

Foden sparkled all evening in another impressive display for his country.

The 21-year-old, who continues to flourish on the international stage, almost assisted Stones' second goal of the evening, with his corner headed just wide by his City team-mate.

Sterling was replaced by Liverpool's Jordan Henderson on 76.

There was concern for Stones who injured his wrist as he attempted to bundle the ball home on 81 minutes, but he was able to continue with strapping - he will no doubt be assessed by City's medical team on his return to the CFA.

England huffed and puffed, but the game ended 1-1.

View all club partners