City’s pursuit of defensive reinforcements is far from over – if you believe what you read in the Sunday press round-up.
Danilo and Danny Rose are linked today, Benjamin Mendy’s continues to be linked and there is a daily dose of Alexis Sanchez snippets just for good measure.
We’ll start with Danilo in the Daily Star who report: “Pep Guardiola’s side are set to continue making reinforcements this summer after letting several defenders walk away from the club at the close of last season.
“Pablo Zabaleta, Gael Clichy and Bacary Sagna all departed the Etihad earlier in the summer.
“And so far, only Kyle Walker of Tottenham has been signed to replace them.
“Now, The Times say City are set to rival Chelsea for the signature of Danilo, 26.
“The Brazil full-back was behind Dani Carvajal in the Real Madrid pecking order last season.
“And he’s thought to be looking for a move to a club that would allow him more playing time.
“The Times says Chelsea and Juventus were leading the way for his signature, with the Blues looking for an alternative to Victor Moses on the right-flank.
“But now with three teams interested, Danilo’s price-tag could sky rocket.
“City have already made a sizeable splash in the transfer market this summer, signing winger Bernardo Silva from Monaco and goalkeeper Ederson from Benfica.
“But Guardiola has yet to bolster his defence, an area of the squad that was considered by many to be lacking before the departure of three regular starters.”
It has been rumoured that the Blues enquired about Spurs full-back Danny Rose while completing the Kyle Walker deal this week.
The Mirror certainly think so and suggest Spurs are preparing a new contract for the player to ward off any potential suitors.
They write: “Tottenham have rewarded Danny Rose with a bumper new contract after keeping the England star out of the clutches of Manchester City and Manchester United.
“Left-back Rose, 27, has been out injured since the end of January – and is set to miss the start of the new season. But that failed to dampen interest from the two Manchester giants.
“It can be revealed that City boss Pep Guardiola made an 11th-hour attempt to snatch the £40million-rated Rose during discussions over team-mate Kyle Walker ’s £50m switch to the Etihad.
“While Guardiola was successful over England full-back Walker he was told by Spurs that there was nothing doing when it came to Rose.”
So, to Sanchez.
The Arsenal star has reportedly been speaking to Chilean radio over the weekend and Sport360 pick up the thread: “Alexis Sanchez has all but confirmed his decision to leave Arsenal.
“With just one year left on his contract, the Premier League outfit risk losing him on a free next year.
‘I want to play in the Champions League. The decision isn’t down to me, I need to wait for Arsenal,’ Sanchez said speaking in an interview in Chile on Saturday.
‘The idea is to play and win the Champions League. I’ve dreamt about it since I was a kid.’
“Arsenal, having failed to finish in the top four last season will be playing in the Europa League instead.
“The timing of Sanchez’s quotes is curious as well as just earlier on Saturday Wenger revealed he had “positive” talks with Sanchez via text.
‘Of course (he will stay),’ Wenger said.
‘There is not a lot to resolve with the player. I have spoken through text and it was very positive. My thoughts are always positive.’
“While Wenger remains optimistic about keeping Sanchez in north London, the Chilean’s latest quotes suggest his heart is set on a move.”
Finally, news on a signing that did happen.
City announced Douglas on Saturday and China Sports report: “Manchester City have signed Brazil under-20 midfielder Douglas from Rio de Janeiro giants Vasco da Gama, the clubs confirmed on Saturday.
“According to media reports in Brazil, City paid 12 million euros for the teenager, making the deal the most expensive in Vasco's history.
‘We wish [Douglas] the best of luck with the move ... and hope that he shines in European football,’ the Brazilian club said in a statement.
“Douglas made 39 first-team appearances for Vasco after being promoted from the club's youth academy last year.
“He is the second Brazilian to join Manchester City in less than a year after the arrival of striker Gabriel Jesus from Palmeiras in January.”
We’ll be back with more of the same tomorrow…