quote linkedin dugout

First Team News

Video 1 Gallery

On This Day: 18 February

Under 18s Action Shot3

Under 18s Action Shot3

Snapshot back into key games and events from this day in City history.


On this day 37 years ago City beat Birmingham 2-0 at St Andrews in the Second Division.

Goals from Nigel Gleghorn and Neil McNab were enough for City to get the win to ensure the majority of the 11,707 crowd left disappointed.

The victory meant City stayed second in the table, one point behind the leaders. By the end of the season, the Blues would be promoted to the First Division, finishing runners up to Chelsea.


Joe Royle is unveiled as City’s new manager. Royle had made 120 appearances for City between 1974 and 1977 and later carved a successful career as a manager with Oldham Athletic and Everton before taking on the hot-seat at Maine Road.

He turned down the chance to manage the Blues in 1989, preferring to stay with Oldham but jumped at the chance on this occasion.


It was early kick-off in the FA Cup and City were facing Preston North End. The game started positively for the Blues who had four corners in the first five minutes, but Lilywhites weathered the storm and took the lead when David Nugent fired in his 17th goal of the season.

City fought back and drew level in the 35th minute when Michael Ball fired the ball in off the post. The second-half saw the Blues largely on top, though it wasn’t until the 84th-minute that a Georgios Samaras effort squeezed in off Preston's Matt Hill. Stephen Ireland sealed victory with a precise shot from 20 yards to break Preston hearts.


City Under-18s faced their Manchester United counterparts in the Barclays Academy Premier League on this day four years ago.

The game took place at Platt Lane and City were looking to bounce back from a disappointing exit in the FA Youth Cup in their previous game.

The Blues raced into a 1-0 lead after only eight minutes when United’s Nick Ioannou turned in an Alex Henshall cross. City added another before half-time as Albert Rusnak slotted home a clever Devante Cole through ball.

United pulled one back in the second half but the two-goal cushion was restored in the 65


minute when Cole squeezed in at the front post to complete a 3-1 win for the hosts.

First Team News

On This Day: 17 February

Media Watch

MEN: Defeat leaves a sour taste

First Team News

Champions League: Looking ahead to Kyiv