EDS & Academy

EDS are edged out by Brighton

UNLUCKY BREAK: Nathanael Ogbeta was powerless to prevent a Brighton cross deflecting off his leg into the City goal
Premier League 2
Premier League 2
Fri 14 Feb
Teddy Jenks 

Felix Nmecha 
City’s EDS squad endured a night of frustration at Brighton with a Nathanael Ogbeta own goal ultimately proving the difference in our latest PL2 encounter.

Though Albion struck first through a 24th minute Teddy Jenks strike, Paul Harsley’s side deservedly levelled through Felix Nmecha on the stroke of half-time.

City sought to step up the pressure after the break with both Tommy Doyle and Jayden Braaf seeing efforts hit the woodwork.

But those strikes were sandwiched by Ogbeta’s slice of ill fortune midway through the second half with the City defender deflecting a Brighton cross into his own net.

What happened

City were looking to build on our fine 4-1 win over Everton last time out and carved open the game’s first opportunity with Adrian Bernabe going just wide with a 12th minute drive.

However, the hosts then broke the deadlock on 24 minutes to gain the early advantage.

Teddy Jenks powered into the penalty area before sending a clinical low strike beyond Bazunu to give Albion the lead.

Romaric Yappi and Jordan Davies then threatened to extend the hosts advantage while skipper Doyle threatened at the other end with a fine free-kick in what was an open, entertaining affair.

And our endeavour was rewarded three minutes before the break when we drew level through Felix Nmecha.

The attacking midfielder powered into the box from Morgan Rogers' before powering in a clinical strike to send us in all square at the break.

ON TARGET : Felix Nmecha got City back on level terms with his first half strike
ON TARGET : Felix Nmecha got City back on level terms with his first half strike

The end to end action continued apace after the break with Davies seeing a header go narrowly wide for Brighton.

Morgan Rogers then saw a stinging shot go close for City before Jayden Braaf came within an ace of giving us the lead, only for the Dutchman’s fine effort to clip the post.

However, it was Brighton who made the second half breakthrough, albeit in fortuitous circumstances as Nathanael Ogbeta inadvertently turned in a near post cross past a helpless Bazunu.

It was a cruel blow and City sought to fashion an instant response, but the woodwork again denied us, with a superb Doyle free-kick hitting the bar.

Harsley’s charges maintained the pressure in the final 10 minutes with both Rogers and Doyle again unlucky not to find the target.

But the Albion backline held firm to claim the three points on a night of frustration for our Under-23s.

How we lined up

Gavin Bazunu was in goal shielded by a back four of Alpha Diounkou, Rowan McDonald, Nathanael Ogbeta, and Josh Wilson-Esbrand. Skipper Tommy Doyle was the midfield anchor with Lewis Fiorini, Adrian Bernabe. The attacking trident was provided by Morgan Rogers, Felix Nmecha and Jayden Braaf.

What it means

The result sees City remain in ninth place in the PL 2 table with 18 points from our 17 games.

What’s next

We are back in Premier League 2 action again in a fortnight’s time when we travel to tackle Arsenal on Friday, February 28th.

Kick-off at Meadow Park, Boreham Wood is 7pm.

News about Brighton v Man City