EDS & Academy

Report: City U18s 6-1 Everton

ALL SMILES: Manchester City Under-18s are hoping for more success over the 2018/19 campaign
Premier League U18 Cup
Premier League U18 Cup
Thu 14 Mar
It was a case of six of the best for City Under-18s, as the young Blues thrashed Everton 6-1 at a rain-soaked Academy Stadium.

A hat-trick from Keke Simmonds, plus a Henri Ogunby brace and a Nabil Touaizi strike earned a thoroughly deserved triumph, as the home side produced a sensational second half display to secure a return to winning ways in the U18 Premier League.

Korede Adedoyin had halved the deficit for the away side on the half-hour mark but the hosts rallied in the second half, bagging four well-taken goals, to put the game well out of the Toffees’ reach.

What happened…

City started brightly and were unfortunate not to break the deadlock inside eight minutes. Ryan Corrigan and Simmonds had three bites of the cherry between them from close range but a combination of goalkeeper Nicolas Defreitas-Hansen and the Everton defence held firm.

The Toffees shot-stopper was called into action again when Tommy Doyle curled a free-kick into his hands, and the City midfielder was unfortunate to see another attempt sail just over the bar.

At the other end, Adedoyin went closest for the visitors on the quarter-hour mark with a low drive, which Curtis Anderson had covered.

The deadlock was broken five minutes later through Simmonds, who delightfully curled a first-time effort past Defreitas-Hansen and into the bottom corner.

Everton almost found an immediate leveller – only for Tom Warren’s set-piece to strike the woodwork. It was a let-off for the Blues and we heeded the warning, doubling the advantage almost instantly.

                        Report: City U18s 6-1 Everton

It was Touaizi who extended the lead with a fine solo goal. The forward sprinted forward to chase down ’s long clearance, brushing off his defender before driving forward and slotting coolly past Defreitas-Hansen.

The home side looked to be well in control and cruising into the break with a comfortable advantage but Everton clawed themselves back into the contest from the spot, after Eric Garcia had been adjudged to upend Ellis Simms. Adedoyin stepped up to convert, sending Anderson the wrong way.

Ogunby then went close with an audacious chip, which bounced off the crossbar, in the last major action of an entertaining opening 45.

After the restart, City gained control. Felix Nmecha went close with a bending effort, which flew just wide, before Ogunby restored the two-goal lead with a beautifully-struck volley.

Garcia then produced a fine last-ditch tackle to thwart Bobby Carroll, before the hosts shifted a gear to steamroll into a five-goal lead.

Having been denied by Defreitas-Hansen a moment prior, Ogunby netted his second with a calm finish for City’s fourth.

Not to be outdone, Simmonds also bagging his brace with a shot that proved too hot for Defreitas-Hansen to handle.

Although he had little to do in the second period, Anderson did well to stay alert, preventing Simms from reducing the advantage by pushing his effort over the bar. That attempt would prove Everton’s best chance of a lifeline and they were handed a blow when captain Elliot Richards saw red – somewhat harshly – for a challenge on the edge of the area.

                        Report: City U18s 6-1 Everton

City were in no mood to sympathise though and Simmonds completed his treble with the resulting free-kick, which was deflected into the bottom corner, capping an excellent afternoon’s work.

How we lined up…

Anderson took his place between the sticks, shielded by a backline of Frimpong, Garcia, captain Nathanael Ogbeta and Corrigan.

Rowan McDonald, Nmecha and Doyle, occupied midfield with Ogunby and Simmonds employed on the wings. Touaizi led the line upfront.

View all club partners