Interviews

Borrell discusses potential EDS FA Cup opportunity

Rodolfo Borrell says City’s FA Cup tie with Swindon could provide some of our Elite Development Squad (EDS) with a senior opportunity, but also stressed that their squad was also affected by positive COVID-19 cases.

City’s assistant coach will take charge of the side in Friday’s third round tie after Pep Guardiola and Juanma Lillo both received positive coronavirus test results earlier this week.

In total, seven players and a further 14 staff members are currently self-isolating, and Borrell revealed that some of our EDS could be brought into the fold to help ease the burden at the County Ground.

However, he also pointed out that Brian Barry-Murphy’s side were affected by a coronavirus outbreak of their own.

DOWNLOAD THE MAN CITY APP

“It’s an opportunity, but again as I mentioned there’s many not available from the academy due to COVID as well. That’s the reality,” Borrell said.

“We have an EDS squad that are closer to 18 years old.

“The 16-year-olds will be more the Under-18s (but the) second team are different ages, maybe also some 16 but also between 18 and 19.”

CITY+ | SUBSCRIBE TO ACCESS EXCLUSIVE CONTENT

In his pre-match press conference ahead of our trip to Swindon, Borrell also recalled his last match that he took charge of.

He reflected: “The last time (I took charge of a match) was when I was at Liverpool.

“This was a long time ago because when I joined Manchester City back in 2014 it was as Academy Technical Director and before that I was Academy Technical Director as well at Liverpool and before that I was coaching the reserves back there.

“This should be around 9 or 10 years ago. It was 1-0 I think away at Wolves.”

Watch the video above to hear Rodolfo Borrell’s thoughts in full…

View all club partners

Mancity.com

31?
loading