Match Highlights

Newcastle 3-4 City: Extended highlights

Enjoy the thrilling St James' Park encounter with our extended highlights package...

What happened?

With City dominating the opening stages, it was a surprise that Newcastle opened the scoring on 24 minutes with their first effort on target.

The hosts had barely gotten out of their own half when a rare attack resulted in a corner that resulted in Emil Krafth planting a header past debutant Scott Carson to make it 1-0.

Ten minutes later another rare break forward saw Manuel Almiron fouled 20 yards from goal and Jonjo Shelvey’s free-kick thumped the crossbar.

If City were rattled, it didn’t show and in the next attack on 38 minutes, Joao Cancelo levelled.

As Rodrigo probed on the left of the Magpies’ box, he laid it back to the Portuguese who hit a first-time angled shot  that struck Jacob Murphy before arrowing into the bottom right corner.

Three minutes later, the champions were ahead with a stunning volley from Ferran Torres.

Ilkay Gundogan’s free-kick from the left flank saw the Spaniard adjust his feet to meet the ball on the full, with a spectacular and deft flick with his heel that gave Martin Dubravka no chance.

Deep into added time a penalty was awarded after VAR adjudged Joelinton to have been pulled down by Nathan Ake and the Brazilian striker made no mistake from the spot to make it 2-2 – it looked a harsh decision on inspection.

Quite a first-half.

The first talking point of the second period was when City conceded a second penalty after Joe Willock was felled in the box by Kyle Walker.

Scott Carson made a fine save, but Willock converted the loose ball to put the hosts 3-2 up just past the hour.

Within two minutes City were level again in this see-saw, thrilling encounter as Gabriel Jesus drilled a low cross in from the left and Torres showed his predatory instincts to slide home a high shot to make it 3-3.

It was breathless stuff and moments later, City were 4-3 up!

Cancelo’s long-range effort smacked the foot of the post and as the ball flew upwards and out, Torres showed  lightning reactions to volley into the roof of the net from eight yards to complete his hat-trick.

It had taken the 21year-old just 22 minutes to score three goals and move towards the top of the scoring charts with 13.

City comfortably played out the last half-hour with some controlled, purring football.

View all club partners