Food is particularly important to that, so, first team nutritionist Tom Parry has worked with Manchester City's Official Partner Gatorade to share a series of healthy recipes for you to make at home.
In this episode, Tom shows us how to make a high fibre carbonara.
It is a super quick recipe which has the distinguished carbonara taste, but that is loaded with fibre and nutrients from the extra vegetables.
Vegetarians can substitute the pancetta for diced smoked tempeh, if they’d like to try this dish.
Ingredients (Serves two)
- 160g lentil spaghetti
- 1 tsp of salt for boiling water
- 60g pancetta
- 1 whole egg, plus 1 egg yolk
- 30g pecorino, finely grated
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 160g mushrooms, chopped
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- Salt and pepper
- Separate the yolk of an egg and whisk with one whole egg and the finely grated pecorino and leave to one side.
- Boil the lentil spaghetti to packet instructions (7-8 minutes) in salted water.
- While this is cooking, fry the pancetta with no oil until nice and crispy and drain in kitchen towel. Discard fat from the pan.
- Using a large pan (I used a wok) over a medium to high heat, cook the mushrooms in olive oil for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the pancetta and spinach to this pan and wilt. Use the water from the pasta to help it along the way and season with salt and plenty of pepper.
- Drain the pasta and add to the mix, combining all the ingredients over a high heat.
- Add the cheesy egg mix and take off the heat, letting the residual heat in the pan lightly cook the eggs.
- Add another big grind of pepper and you are ready to serve.