In the third episode of our Midea Taste Tactics series, Stones was asked his favourite cake.
Smooth and silky chocolate cake was always going to be the option for our stylish centre back.
With the help of expert baker Alice, Stones tells you how you can make your own.
Here, Stones goes for something much more indulgent.
Find out more by clicking on the video below...
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C (fan).
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until pale.
- Add the eggs one at a time, then sift in the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder.
- Add the milk, then mix together until just incorporated.
- Divide the mixture between 3 greased and lined, 6 inch cake tins.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until a knife comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tins, then leave to cool fully on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile make the ganache.
- Melt the butter, cream and chocolate over the hob or in the microwave until fully melted, then leave to cool in the fridge until it can be scooped with a spoon.
- Whip the cooled ganache until it is a piping consistency.
- Level off the cakes with a sharp knife, and then stack the sponges with a layer of ganache in between each layer.
- Crumb coat the cake with the ganache and leave in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Cover the cake in a thick layer of ganache and scrape until smooth.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together until fully melted and then drip around the top of the cake.
- With the leftover ganache, pipe around the top of the cake, and place the chocolates on top.
- Add more chocolate decorations and the Man City logo around the cake to decorate.
- 450g unsalted butter, softened
- 450g caster sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 375g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 100g cocoa powder
- 150ml whole milk
- 200ml double cream
- 350g butter
- 450g dark chocolate
- 100g dark chocolate
- 20g unsalted butter
- Man City icing logos