Today is a landmark occasion for club legend Dennis Tueart as it marks the 50th anniversary of him joining Manchester City.

Tueart arrived at Maine Road on this day in 1974 as the Sunderland FA Cup winner from the previous year put pen to paper on a then club record £275,000 deal.

On his arrival, Tueart said: “I am delighted to have come to a club who are considered amongst the best in the country. 

“I couldn’t have come to a better club or a better place than Manchester, I’ve not come down here to taste Lancashire hotpot.”

It was clear from the outset that Dennis was here to win – and earn major honours in the sky blue shirt.

That attitude endeared him to the City faithful and he became a massive favourite with his dazzling  flair, passion, commitment and never say die attitude with supporters serenading him on matchdays with the chant of “Dennis - the King of all Geordies.”

Dennis was an incredible player and his contribution is immortalised thanks to the spectacular overhead kick which resulted in the winning goal in the 1976 League Cup Final against Newcastle United.

His extravagant effort, just after half-time, ensured a 2-1 win in front of 100,000 fans at Wembley.

As part of the 50th anniversary of the League Cup in 2010, that stunning strike was voted the competition’s greatest-ever goal by football fans.

He was also named PFA Division One Team of the Year across 1975/76 and 1976/77 as City finished eighth and then second to champions Liverpool.

For his country, Tueart won six caps for England, becoming the 906th player to don the Three Lions.

His first game came in May 1975, a 1-0 away win over Cyprus at Tsirion Athletic Centre in Limassol with Tueart coming on as a 73rd minute.

He followed that up six days later with a start at Windsor Park as England drew 0-0 with Northern Ireland.

Tueart scored in a 2-1 win over Finland at Wembley in October 1976 in a World Cup qualifying game, fellow City star Joe Royle scoring the other on the night.

He scored again for Don Revie’s men against Northern Ireland at Windsor Park in another 2-1 victory, Southampton’s Mick Channon scoring the other.

His final duo of matches came in May and June 1977, 1-0 and 2-1 Home International defeats to Wales and Scotland at Wembley, as substitutes.

Overall, Tueart’s record was played six, won three, drawn one, lost two for his country.

In 1978, City fans were crestfallen when he left the club to join NASL team, New York Cosmos.

During his two year stay at Giants Stadium, Tueart played with some of world’s greatest-ever players, including Franz Beckenbauer, Carlos Alberto and Johan Neeskens, missing out on calling FIFA Player of the Century, Pele, a team-mate by just one season!

Tueart returned to City from USA in 1980, telling the media on his arrival back that Manchester is the ‘greatest football city in the world’.

It’s fair to say he was afforded a fantastic welcome from City fans.

He played in the 1981 FA Cup Final replay, coming on a substitute, in the 3-2 defeat to Tottenham Hotspur, widely remembered for Ricky Villa’s Wembley Goal of the Century winner.

He left the club in 1983, joining Stoke City and then Burnley before ending his playing career with Irish club Derry City in 1986.

Tueart would later become a director at City and was heavily involved in the appointment of successful managers Joe Royle and Kevin Keegan who were instrumental in turning City’s fortunes around in the 1990s and 2000s.

He may have eventually left his role on the board in 2007 but he’s still blue through and through, following our fortunes week-in and week-out.

Congratulations, Dennis, on today’s milestone moment – and thanks for your tremendous commitment to the club through these many years.