Mens Team

Laporte: Players pleased with Guardiola decision

Laporte: Players pleased with Guardiola decision
Aymeric Laporte says Manchester City’s players are all delighted with the news Pep Guardiola has extended his stay at the Club.

The boss penned a new two-year contract on Thursday, which keeps him at the Etihad Stadium until the summer of 2023, with the French defender admitting the deal has pleased the entire squad.

BUY YOUR LAPORTE #14 SHIRT

“We are all very happy with the news,” explained Laporte.

“It makes us really happy to have him for two more years. We all have seen everything he has done in this club. He has won many trophies, he has a 73% winning rate. That is huge.

“Manchester City has increased its level under his command, so I'm very happy he is staying.

“Of course, winning trophies is always the goal with him. We want to win the Premier League again and the Champions League, hopefully it can happen this season and on the next two as well.”

WATCH: Begiristain: Pep's style of football is addictive

The deal extends Guardiola’s stay at the Club to seven years, three more than he managed at Barcelona and a further four on top of his stint at Bayern Munich.

Having already built one great City side, he now has the opportunity to further improve on that and Laporte has been encouraged by what he has seen so far from two of the Spaniard’s recent signings.

Whilst the defender has not had enough time to form a partnership with Ruben Dias, the Portuguese centre-half has impressed him, as has Ferran Torres, who has made a flying start to both his City and senior international career in recent weeks.

“We are still at the beginning of the season, but he has helped us a lot,” said Laporte when asked for his thoughts on the winger.

“He has played as a striker, even though it's not his original position on the pitch. He has played really well every time he’s had the chance.

“He has scored a few goals with us and also we are happy that he scored a hat-trick with his national team during the week.

“We enjoy having him here and hopefully he can give us more and more.”

WATCH: Coming soon on CITY+: Scout

City’s Premier League campaign resumes away at Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday evening at a ground where we suffered a 2-0 defeat last season.

This time, Laporte, who will be tasked with keeping Spurs talisman Harry Kane quiet, is targeting a clean sheet, which he believes will be crucial if City are to have any chance of winning against a side sitting second in the table.

“Of course, we want that [to take the revenge from last season],” he said. “Hopefully, we can win this time.

“We need it so we will fight until the end to beat them. I think they are very good players [Kane, Son, Bale], but we also have very good defenders as well.

“We will have to be very focused and hopefully we can keep a clean sheet.”

You can watch exclusive CityTV productions, including the upcoming FA Youth Cup and scouting documentaries, with a CITY+ subscription.

Find out more and sign up, here.

View all club partners

Mancity.com

31?