A new name to add to an ever-growing list of alleged City targets as we take a look at the latest headlines from sports websites and newspapers around the globe.
Germany international Leon Goretzka – a former team-mate of Leroy Sane – is apparently getting plenty of admiring glances from English clubs keen to take him on board.
Sports Illustrated rarely make an appearance in our media round-up, but they do today as they report: “Schalke star Leon Goretzka has been subject to interest from a host of European clubs this summer following an impressive season, and now Arsenal and Manchester City are said to have joined the race.
“The 22-year-old Goretzka's contract at Schalke expires next year and after supposedly rejecting a new four-year deal worth £7m-a-year, a parting of ways now seems to be inevitable.
“The German international played a starring role for his country's Confederations Cup triumph this summer and as a result has attracted the likes of Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, and Liverpool.”
One story that is widely reported this morning regards Monaco defender Benjamin Mendy.
The France full-back has been linked to City all summer long and the suggestion is the two teams have been trying to thrash out a deal.
The Independent, however, believe the Ligue 1 champions are adopting a tough stance as they write: “Monaco have told Manchester City that they must pay £50million to sign Benjamin Mendy.
“The French champions have rejected City’s latest bid of £44.5m for the left-back, and want as much for the France international as City paid Tottenham for Kyle Walker. Last week City finally signed Walker, after months of negotiations, for a fee of £50m that could rise to £53m including add-ons.
“Monaco have proven to be tough negotiators so far during the transfer window, getting a £40m fee from Chelsea for Tiemoue Bakayoko and an initial £43m from City for Bernardo Silva.”
We await Benjamin’s latest ‘cryptic’ Instagram message with interest!
While one alleged deal supposedly stalls, another powers ahead – at least according to the New Indian Express who write: “Manchester City are close to signing Real Madrid full-back Danilo Luiz da Silva, according to widespread media reports on Thursday.
“Pep Guardiola made full-backs his top transfer priority in the close season having released Pablo Zabaleta, Gael Clichy and Bacary Sagna, and Brazilian international Danilo is on the verge of joining Kyle Walker as City's latest recruit in that position.
“The deal for the 26-year-old is expected to cost the Premier League side around 26 million pounds, and with Walker signed in a transfer which could rise to 54 million pounds, that would take City's spending on full-backs alone past the 80 million pounds mark.
“Danilo, who joined European champions Real in 2015 from Porto, started just 17 Spanish league games last season with Dani Carvajal often preferred in the right-back role.
“The Spanish international started ahead of Danilo in the Champions League final in Cardiff as Real Madrid beat Juventus 4-1 to lift their 12th European Cup.
“Chelsea are also believed to be keen on securing the Brazilian's signature, but City -- who are also chasing Monaco full-back Benjamin Mendy - remain favourites to complete a deal.”
And so it goes…
More transfer gossip tomorrow…