Manchester City’s new defender Kyle Walker finds himself in the media spotlight this morning after his move from Tottenham was completed on Friday.
The 27-year-old signed a five-year deal with the Club and is now set to travel to the US on City’s pre-season tour, which sees them take in matches against Manchester United, Real Madrid and Walker’s former team Spurs.
Let’s start with the BBC, who highlighted some interesting stats showing Walker to be one of the best full-backs in the Premier League when it comes to creating chances for others.
“Walker made 31 league starts under Mauricio Pochettino last season as Tottenham recorded their highest top-flight finish since the 1962-63 season,” they write.
“The right-back recorded five assists for the Premier League runners-up, the joint-most for a defender in the division alongside Bournemouth's Adam Smith and Spurs team-mate Kieran Trippier, who made six of his 12 appearances from the bench.
“Walker also ranked highly among chances created by defenders and his 75 dribbles attempted was only less than Cherries full-back Smith (87) and Watford's Jose Holebas (88).”
And the BBC’s Jermaine Jenas, a former Tottenham player, said: “I think it's great business for City. I am surprised Spurs are selling to a direct competitor.
“He's been a huge part of why Spurs have had one of, or the best defence in the league for two years.”
The Guardian’s Paul Wilson believes City have landed one of the Premier League’s most devastating defenders.
“There is no doubt City have captured one of the best attacking full backs around, Walker’s assists were invaluable in helping Spurs secure second place last season, though as is normally the case Daniel Levy drove a hard bargain and made sure his club received top dollar,” he writes.
And Paul Dickov has told Sky Sports City are his favourites to land the Premier League title next season after the capture of Walker.
"Personally I do think they're favourites,” he said. “Some of the stuff Man City played last year was not just the best from a City team, but some of the best football I've seen in the Premier League for a long time. They can really tear teams apart.
"Especially towards the end of the season, getting Vincent Kompany back, they looked a lot more solid. They built up a bit of momentum towards the end in the home games in particular, scoring a lot of goals, defending well and playing some great football.
"The additions they've made so far and the additions they will make, I think it could be quite scary for a few teams next year.
"I think it's going to be difficult for everybody. Three or four years ago we talked about a top four being nailed on each year, last year it was a top six, and now with Everton spending it's almost a top seven."
Meanwhile, the Daily Mail’s Jack Gaughan believes City will look to follow up the capture of Walker by signing Monaco’s Benjamin Mendy.
Gaughan says City ideally want Mendy added to the ranks before the pre-season tour of America begins - and hints that a central-defender is also on the Club's radar.
“Monaco left back Mendy, rated at £40m, is a long-term target and City are optimistic a move can be agreed before their pre-season tour, which begins on Monday,” he writes.
“Mendy, 22, has not travelled with Monaco on their trip to Switzerland. City are also in the market for a central defender.”
That’s all for today, Blues! Keep your eye on mancity.com this summer for all the latest official transfer news.