Read what happened as Manchester City EDS suffered their first defeat of the season against Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium.

What happened

The Blues suffered their first defeat of the season after losing 4-3 against Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium.

Matt Smith, Brahim Diaz and Lukas Nmecha grabbed the goals for the Blues as both sides finished the game with ten men after Tyreke Wilson and Jack Wilshere were sent off.

The first half was played at a fast pace with the hosts going on the attack from the off. 

Donyell Malen broke through the City defence but the onrushing Daniel Grimshaw closed down the angle and the Arsenal man fired wide.

The Gunners took the lead in the 11th minute when Reiss Nelson fired into the bottom corner after being set up by Josh Da Silva.

Arsenal doubled their advantage four minutes later through Eddie Nketiah, who slotted home from close range despite the appeals for offside from the Blues’ back four.

Simon Davies was forced into an early change as Tom Dele-Bashiru replaced the injured Taylor Richards before City reduced the deficit in the 31st minute.

Smith timed his run perfectly from midfield to arrive in the Arsenal area at the right time to head home Wilson’s cross at the back post.

Another injury to Javairo Dilrosun meant a second change for the Blues in the first half with Benjamin Garre coming on for the Dutch midfielder.

Arsenal re-established their two goal lead two minutes after the substitution when Wilshere played in Nketiah, who applied the finish for his second goal of the game.

The Blues finished the half strongly and had a couple of chances to make it 3-2 in the latter stages.

First, Nmecha saw his free kick fizz just over the crossbar before the 18-year old poked wide under heavy pressure from the Arsenal defence.

City started the second half well before the hosts extended their lead in the 57th minute when Nelson grabbed his second of the evening from Da Silva’s cut back.

The two red cards came six minutes later as Wilshere reacted angrily to Smith’s challenge, who picked up a booking, before Wilson was dismissed for his part in the altercation afterwards.

The Blues stepped up the pressure following the incident and added their second goal in the 68th minute after Brahim placed the ball in the bottom corner after being played in by Smith.

Six minutes later, City reduced the deficit to just one goal when Nmecha sent Matt Macey the wrong way from the penalty spot after Garre was brought down in the area.

Grimshaw then denied Nketiah his hat trick with a smart save from close range in what was the last chance of the game.

What it means

The Blues remain in eight place following their first defeat of the season.

How they lined up

Simon Davies made four changes from the Checkatrade Trophy clash with Rotherham United.

Daniel Grimshaw replaced Aro Muric in goal with Ed Francis taking Demeaco Duhaney’s place in the back four alongside Joel Latibeaudiere, Charlie Oliver and Tyreke Wilson.

Matt Smith and Jacob Davenport lined up in central midfield behind the trio of Javairo Dilrosun, Brahim Diaz and Taylor Richards - the latter two coming in for Tom Dele-Bashiru and Lorenzo Gonzalez - with Lukas Nmecha starting as the sole striker.