EDS & Academy

City held by Everton in pulsating clash

City held by Everton in pulsating clash
Premier League u18
Premier League u18
Sat 19 Sep
Carlos Borges 
Tai Sodje 
Sean McAllister 
Thomas Cannon 
City were held to a 2-2 draw in a feisty Premier League 2 clash at the CFA.

In a blood and thunder contest, City took an early lead through Carlos Borges before the visitors struck back with two goals in 11 minutes.

Tai Sodje levelled on half-time to secure a 2-2 draw, despite City's second-half dominance.

What happened?

In lovely mid-September sunshine, City got off to the perfect start.

Electric-paced Borges chased an overhit pass but pressurised Everton keeper Zan-Luk Leban as he collected then dropped the ball at the Portuguese winger’s feet allowing him to walk the ball into the empty net.

It was Borges third goal of the season and the 16 year-old looks a real prospect.

Everton gradually settled into the task and on 23 minutes, Sean McAllister raced on to a headed back pass by skipper Kwaku Oduroh to prod the ball past Mikki Van Sas.

City responded well and almost regained the lead just before the halfway mark as Darko Gyabi sent Borges clear on the left and his cross was volleyed goalwards by Lewis Hamilton only for Leban to save well.

But a foul in the box on 33 minutes gave Toffees striker Tom Cannon the chance to put the visitors ahead from the penalty spot and he made no mistake, sending Van Sas the wrong way.

With Everton in the ascendency, City struck back on the stroke of half-time as Harvey Griffiths laid the ball on for Sodje who made no mistake to end a difficult half for the hosts on a high.

City pressed for a third from the restart and Griffiths looked to have had a decent shout for a penalty after being clattered in the box by the Everton keeper, but the referee wasn't interested.

Moments later, Sodje's weaving run saw the ball break free to Griffiths who saw his powerful low shot whistle past the post.

Then, just before the hour, Micah Hamilton danced around the Toffees' right-back before cutting in from the left and drilling a low shot that Leban saved well with his feet.

With tackles flying in from both sides, it was turning into a bruising encounter that saw both Griffiths and Hamilton limp off injured.

The Everton goal was leading a charmed life with Gyabi in particular seeing a number of shots saved or scrambled clear.

But there were to be no further goals, despite City's admirable second half efforts.

How we lined up:

City: Van Sas, Lewis, Charles, Doyle, Oduroh, Lavia, Hamilton (Larios 74), Griffiths (Adam 62), Sodje, Gyabi, Borges

Subs: McNamara, Breckin, Smith

What it means…

City are second in the Premier League 2 table as of today's result.

What’s next?

It’s Merseyside opposition again for Carlos Vicente’s side who travel to face Liverpool next Saturday in a Premier League U18 clash that kicks-off at 11am.

View all club partners