There were goals galore in City EDS’ final home game of the 2022/23 campaign as the Blues beat Wolves 4-3.

In what was the penultimate match of the season, the Premier League 2 champions started in ruthless fashion.

Struggling Wolves looked set for a long afternoon at the Academy Stadium, with City scoring four first-half goals in front of an appreciative home crowd.

But the visitors then rallied with three goals in 15 minutes either side of the break as City held on to take three points.

Brian Barry-Murphy’s side secured a third successive title at Blackburn Rovers last weekend and will wrap a magnificent season away to Arsenal next weekend.

What happened?

It didn’t take long for City to open up a porous Wolves defence.

Oscar Bobb drove towards the visitors’ defence before finding Ben Knight to his right and the midfielder’s deflected shot beat Wolves keeper Palmi Arinbjornsson with just seven minutes played.

Wolves nearly levelled on 13 minutes when Nathan Fraser saw his header come back off the inside of the post and City almost punished that miss a minute later as Knight went close again after good work by Kane Taylor.

And it was the impressive Taylor who was heavily involved in the second goal, weaving into the box and seeing his shot saved before Josh Adam doubled City’s advantage from close range on 25 minutes.

And the first 45 ended with a flurry of goals with Adam bagging his second of the game on 44 minutes, controlling a long ball forward superbly before lobbing Arinbjornsson to make it 3-0, and the match looked as good as over a minute later with a fine solo goal from Micah Hamilton.

The lively City winger cut in from the right, evaded a couple of challenges before curling a shot into the bottom right corner to make it 4-0.

In added time, Wolves reduced the arrears with what seemed to be a consolation goal as Alfie Pond planted the ball past Josh McNamara from close range to make it 4-1 at the break.

However, the visitors were far from finished in this game.

Three minutes after the restart, a free-kick swung into the City box was firmly headed past McNamara by the towering Nathan Fraser to make it 4-2.

And Fraser repeated the feat on the hour-mark with another excellent header to make it 4-3 in what was becoming an absorbing contest.

City had a chance to respond immediately as second-half sub Dire Mebude was felled in the box to win a penalty – but Adam missed the chance to complete his hat-trick with his tame spot-kick saved by Arinbjornsson.

The only surprise was that there were no further goals in the end of the scoring, with City seeing out the time that remained without too much fuss ahead of the post-match trophy lift.

What it means…

City move 13 points clear of second-placed Chelsea and have one game in hand on the West Londoners who have completed their schedule.

Barry-Murphy’s side have now scored 77 goals in 25 games – an average better than three per match.

What’s next?

Our EDS wrap up the campaign away to Arsenal next Saturday (6 May) with a 13:00 (UK) kick-off.

Team notes

City: McNamara, Agyemang, Charles (c), Samuel, Taylor, Robertson (Susoho 46), Knight (Mebude 46), Adam, Dickson (Sodje 63), Bobb, Hamilton.

Subs:, van Sas, Borges.

Wolves: Arinbjornsson, Lembikisa, Hubner, Griffiths, Tiption (c), Pond, Hesketh (Sciclona 46), Hodge, Fraser, Barnett (Birtwhistle 72), Farmer (Roberts 90+2)

Subs:, Kandola, Esen