City secured their 13th win of the U18 Premier League season with a 2-0 victory over Liverpool in their final match of the campaign.

Gareth Taylor’s side dominated from start to finish – clinching two goals in the process through Henri Ogunby and Keke Simmonds.

The game was a joy to watch, simply through the maturity and cleverness of the young teenage side.

A clean sheet and two goals added a shine to what has been an important season in terms of development for this team.

What happened

Two minutes in the Blues showed threat through Nabil Touaizi as he charged forward going one-v-one with Caoimhin Kelleher before submitting a shot from a tight angle. The effort slid wide of the goal but certainly asserted our dominance early on.

City’s hearts were sent racing in the third minute when Liverpool's Rafa Camacho sent thunderous strike towards Tom Scott's goal. The shot smashed into the crossbar and into the stands to a chorus of deep-intakes of breath - but the Blues failed to be unsettled.

Clever and intricate passes meant that City enjoyed a majority of the possession in the opening minutes of the game and it felt as if a goal was brewing throughout.

The Blues’ patience and determination was rewarded in the 13th minute of the game as Henri Ogunby broke through the Liverpool backline to send the ball past Caoimhin Kelleher.

The goal instantly sent a rush of confidence through the squad as Gareth Taylor’s side sent two attempts goalward within seconds.

Touaizi looked likely to get a goal when he smashed Henri Ogunby’s deflected header towards Kelleher but the Liverpool keeper blocked the powerful effort.

The second goal came on the 25th minute.

Felix Nmecha looked slick as he whipped around countless red shirts before slotting a pinpointed pass to arrive at Simmonds’ feet. The striker reacted quickly as he slotted home from close range to double City’s lead.

                        GOAL: Keke Simmonds secures the second of the match!
GOAL: Keke Simmonds secures the second of the match!

Returning from the break it was apparent that City would keep their foot firmly on the gas.

Scott was called to action when Camacho submitted a powerful strike after his free-kick was deflected – Scott launched into the air to punch away the threat coolly and calmly over the crossbar.

The Blues continued to pile on the pressure to Liverpool throughout the second period with Touaizi going close a number of times.

Liverpool’s key chance came just five minutes before the whistle as the referee pointed to the penalty spot following Alpha Diounkou’s foul on Camacho. The Red – who had been Liverpool’s biggest threat throughout the game – launched an attempt too powerfully which resulted in the penalty strike sailing over the crossbar.

A confident and mature performance resulted in a well deserved win for City, and as they end in second place to Manchester United - it will undoubtedly spur the side on to clinch the top spot next season.

How we lined-up

Scott took his place in goal shielded by a back four of Ryan Corrigan, skipper Nathanael Ogbeta, Eric Garcia and Diounkou.

Nmecha, Rowan McDonald and Tommy Doyle were employed in midfield, while Simmonds and Ogunby occupied the wings.

Touaizi started up front.

                        ACTION SHOT: Tommy Doyle goes head-to-head.
ACTION SHOT: Tommy Doyle goes head-to-head.

What it means

City’s win over Liverpool means we finish in second place in the standings on 42 points – a strong end to the season.