Subscribe to access exclusive content

£1.99 per month

  • Full match replays within 24 hours of final whistle
  • Exclusive CityTV productions
  • Archive matches from key moments in the club's history

City 3-0 Marseille: Full Match Replay

Watch our win over Marseille - in full...

Sergio Aguero returned to first team action on style as he scored just 10 minutes into his long-awaited comeback as City ended the Group C schedule with a 3-0 win over Marseille.

Ferran Torres had put City ahead just after half-time and Raheem Sterling scored in added time, but it will be Aguero who grabs the headlines for his stellar cameo off the bench.

What happened?

It was a first half of surprisingly few opportunities.

City’s only real chances – despite dominating much of the half – coming to Aymeric Laporte who headed Ilkay Gundogan’s free-kick over with the help of a Marseille defender’s scalp.

And Riyad Mahrez found himself with just Steve Mandanda to beat – but the Marseille keeper saved well with his feet (though a belated flag was raised for offside).

Other than that, John Stones – on for the injured Eric Garcia – made a superb block as Valerie Germain raced onto Florian Thauvin’s low cross to keep the scores level.

Perhaps the lack of a natural striker meant there was no focal point for City’s first-half attacks – whatever the reason, it was a fairly tepid fist 45 overall.

Raheem Sterling replaced Ilkay Gundogan at the start of the second half in a bid to liven up the forward line.

Within three minutes, the change had made a difference and as Riyad Mahrez burst into the box on the right, Germain nicked the ball off his toe and inadvertedly put Ferran Torres in and he slid the ball under Mandanda from six yards.

It was Torres’ fourth goal in five Champions League games.

Kyle Walker and Phil Foden could have extended City’s lead before the welcome return of Sergio Aguero on 67 minutes.

And it took our record goal-scorer just 10 minutes to announce his return in style as Nathan Ake’s thumping header from Foden’s corner was parried by Mandanda and poked home by the Argentine predator.

Sterling put the cherry on the cake in added time as Torres’ cross caused confusion and the ball fell at the England forward's feet almost on the goal-line.

And it was the 1,000th City goal since moving to the Etihad, so very much a milestone strike.

View all club partners