The headlines reveal the media's reaction to City being drawn against Steaua Bucharest in the qualifying rounds of the Uefa Champions League..
City are warned not to take Steaua Bucharest lightly.
After yesterday’s Uefa Champions League draw, it became clear who City were to face in the qualifying rounds of the tournament. The Romanian side, Steaua Bucharest recently knocked out Sparta Prague convincingly and now look to do the same to City although Pep and the boys may have other plans.
Jeremy Cross of the Daily Star reports that “Guardiola has described the two legs as being amongst the most important matches of the season.
“City reached the semi-finals for the first time last season and it would be a huge embarrassment if they failed to get through to the lucrative group stages.
“City have never met Steaua before and face a step into the unknown.
“It’s going to be a difficult tie because Steaua are on the up again in Europe and have a lot of talent,” said City sporting director Txiki Begiristain as quoted by the Daily Star.
Also quoted by the Daily Star, Sterling adds: “It is a good draw for us, but I think it will be a difficult one, away first.
“For them to be in that draw must mean they are a top team.
“Over the coming week, the manager will definitely show us more on them, so there is loads of homework to do in preparation for the game."
Moreover, after yesterday’s comments by Steaua’s owner Gigi Becali, there may be extra motivation for Manchester City to provide a dominating performance in both legs of the Bucharest match-up.
Chris Wheeler of the Daily Mail writes that “the outspoken owner of Manchester City’s Champions League play-off opponents has threatened to ‘destroy’ Pep Guardiola’s hopes of reaching the group stage.”
As quoted by the Daily Mail, Becali says "As time goes by, I gain confidence... We’re not giving up, we won’t be killed. We have killers in the team. We’ll destroy City.”
The Champions League qualifying round will take place on August 16 with the second leg at the Etihad Stadium on August 26.
Moving on to transfer news now and TalkSport have reported that “Roma playmaker Leandro Paredes is wanted by Liverpool, Man City, Juventus and Monaco this summer.
“The Argentinean's future has been a hot topic this summer, with a move away from AS Roma expected.
“Both Premier League clubs have hoped to lure him to England but he has so far stayed put in the Italian capital.
Watch this space for more on what happens with Paredes…
That’s all the media news for now. Return tomorrow another addition of “What The Media Says.”