quote

What the Media Says

Video 1 Gallery

Express: City set for major double transfer swoop

STRIKER: Could Aubameyang be on his way to Manchester?

STRIKER: Could Aubameyang be on his way to Manchester?

City could be set to sign two star names for major fees, if you are to believe this morning’s rumours.

Sunday morning always means a whole host of speculation and this week is no different, with the Express believing the Blues could be set to break their transfer record twice this summer.

Neil Fissler writes that City are chasing Everton defender John Stones and Borussia Dortmund striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

He says: “It looks like he will have to pay more than the £54m the club paid Wolfsburg for Kevin De Bruyne last season if they want the pair.

“Everton have said that they will only listen to offers for Stones if they are over £50m and City are believed to be close to making a break through.

“It is understood a sticking point is the 15 per cent that Stones former club Barnsley are due from the fee with both sides haggling over who should pay it.

“Meanwhile City are in advanced talks with Borussia Dortmund over Gabon international Aubameyang, 27, who wants to leave the Bundesliga side.

“Guardiola was hoping that he wouldn’t have to but may now have to match Dortmund’s £58 million asking price if he wants his man.”

Elsewhere, the Mail have continued the long-running speculation that City are interested in West Ham youngster Reece Oxford.

However, the Blues face serious competition for Oxford as Joe Bernstein writes: “West Ham have placed an £18million price tag on starlet defender Reece Oxford who is attracting widespread attention after taking England to the semi-finals of the European Under-19s Championship.

“Manchester City and Manchester United are among the clubs closely monitoring 17-year-old Oxford, who is currently involved in a contractual stand-off with West Ham.

“Newly-promoted Bundesliga club Red Bull Leipzig have already made a £10m offer for Oxford that would have netted the youngster £20,000-a-week, but it was rejected by Hammers chief David Sullivan.”

In terms of potential outgoings, the Daily Star have today said that Samir Nasri is determined to stay at the club during Pep Guardiola’s reign.

Paul Hetherington penned: “The former Arsenal midfielder has been doing double training sessions as he attempts to impress the new City boss.

“Nasri, 29, has three years remaining on his contract and told friends and club colleagues that he wants to be part of the new-look City.

“The France international had an injury-wrecked season last term and will have to compete with emerging youngsters like Kelechi Iheanacho, 19, Aleix Garcia, 19, and Manu Garcia, 18.”

First Team News

Pep hopes for injury-free derby

MEDIA DAY: Pep addresses the media for the first time in China.

“No injuries” was Pep Guardiola’s answer when asked what his hopes are for the pre-season friendly against Manchester United at the Bird’s Nest Stadium.

There have been some concerns about the pitch following heavy rainfall in Beijing over the last week and Pep has admitted he wants to get through the game with his squad unscathed.

Interview

Clichy: Now the whole team must defend

GAEL FORCE: French full-back enjoying life under Pep.

Think of Pep Guardiola and inevitably your mind will turn to beautiful, expansive attacking football.

However, there’s more to the new manager than creating chances and scoring goals, according to one of the men who has been training under him for the last three weeks.

What the Media Says

In Other News: Rooney backs Allardyce appointment

ALLARDYCE: The 61-year old was confirmed as the new England manager on Friday.

England captain Wayne Rooney believes that the FA have made a ‘good appointment’ by naming Sam Allardyce as the new manager of England.

The 30-year old is currently in China ahead of the Manchester derby on Monday and spoke to Sky Sports after the former Sunderland boss signed a two-year deal to take charge of the national side.