quote

What the Media Says

Video 1 Gallery

ESPN: City edge closer to £40m Sane deal

There may be a couple of major international football tournaments taking place at the moment – but transfer gossip dominates the headlines.

And you’ll be delighted to know there’s plenty featuring City. Don’t believe me? Have a read of this…

The day’s top tale derives from ESPN, who believe the Blues are plotting a £40million bid for Leroy Sane.

Writes Chris Borg: “He's one of the most sought-after players in German football - and now he's heading for Manchester City, says the Sun.

“The paper says Manchester City have ‘sealed a £40 million swoop’ for Schalke star Leroy Sane, with the Germany international all set to team up with former Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola once Euro 2016 is done and dusted.

“City have reportedly been watching winger Sane since last season, with officials having worked on a potential deal since the start of the year.”

Chris Borg

ESPN

Meanwhile, 101 Great Goals assert Nolito could also be on his way to the Etihad Stadium.

According to Ben Green: “For over a year now, Nolito has been heavily linked with Barcelona, but this dramatically changed on Monday.

“Just before the match between Spain and the Czech Republic, TV5 journalist Manu Carreño referred to the situation of Nolito claiming that Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City had already reached an agreement with the player who intends to sign for the Premier League giants.”

Meanwhile, one alleged target looks set to stay at his current club.

As the Guardian explain: “Aymeric Laporte has signed a new contract with Athletic Bilbao which will tie him to the club until the summer of 2020.

“The 22-year-old Frenchman had been strongly linked with City but a statement from Athletic on Monday evening said he was staying with the La Liga club.

“They added that the release clause would for the defender would be €65m (£52m) for the 2016-17 and 2017-18 seasons, increasing to €70m for the two after that.”

The rumours continue in the Manchester Evening News, who report City are keen on Dimitri Payet, while Inter Milan are still interested in Yaya Toure.

Rob Pollard states: “According to Spanish newspaper Don Balon, Pep Guardiola is a huge admirer of the French playmaker and has identified him as a marquee signing this summer.

“Payet capped a superb performance by scoring a brilliant last-minute winner in France's opening game of Euro 2016 on Friday night.

“PSG are thought to be watching his situation carefully – and Chelsea are also keen.

“Payet signed a new £125,000-a-week contract at West Ham in February but a move to one of Europe's elite clubs is likely to appeal to the 29-year-old.

“Meanwhile, Inter Milan are looking to circumnavigate FFP rules by getting Chinese side Jiangsu Suning to buy Yaya Toure from City – and then loaning him back to the Italian giants.

“According to Italian outlet La Gazzetta dello Sport, Inter, who were taken over by Chinese financial giants Suning Commerce Group last week, are desperate to land the Ivorian, with former City boss Roberto Mancini a huge fan of his quality.”

On the subject of potential outgoings, the Mirror declare Willy Caballero could return to La Liga.

So says David Anderson: “Caballero's City future is uncertain because Manuel Pellegrini has left the Etihad and Espanyol and Celta are trying to lure him back to Spain, where he spent 10 years with Elche and Malaga.

“Caballero, 34, faces another season on the bench if he remains with the Blues, despite his penalty-save heroics in last season's Capital One Cup Final win.

“The Argentinian's wages could be a stumbling block for Espanyol and Celta and he has one year left on his £40,000-a-week contract.”

And finally, the South Wales Evening Post claim Wilfried Bony’s supposed move back to Swansea looks unlikely.

Scribes Gareth Vincent: “The Evening Post understands that despite much speculation, Swansea are not considering a move to bring Bony back to SA1.

“The Ivory Coast international, a firm favourite with players and fans during his 18 months at the Liberty, is tipped to leave Manchester City in this transfer window having struggled to make the grade at the Etihad Stadium following his big-money move from Swansea in January 2015.

“But Swansea sources have played down talk of the 27-year-old rejoining them.

“Bony's wages are huge, while City's asking price will be sizeable even though he has had a difficult time in Manchester.”

In other news...

Dr Tony Xia completes takeover of Championship club Aston Villa

First Team News

#City30: Cult heroes

First Team News

Silva wins 100th cap in Spain win

CENTURION: David wins his 100th cap

David Silva won his 100th cap for his country in Spain’s 1-0 win over Czech Republic.

The 30-year old was arguably Spain’s best player in a tough, hotly-contested encounter against a pragmatic, well-organised Czech side in their opening Euro 2016 match.

First Team News

Silva: 100 caps for Spain

David Silva won his 100th cap against Spain on Monday afternoon, joining a select band of centurions who have reached the milestone for La Roja.

The man the City fans call ‘El Mago’ – The Magician – has won more than half his international caps with the Blues – 61 to date - though he started his journey some 15 years ago when he played for Spain Under-16s, playing six times during 2001/0