quote

What the Media Says

Video 1 Gallery

Sterling has a licence to thrill at City, says agent

What the MEDIA says finished

What the MEDIA says finished

Raheem Sterling's agent Aidy Ward asserts the midfielder has 'gone up a tier' since joining City.

Having made the move from Liverpool to Manchester for a record fee in the summer, the 20-year-old endured much criticism and carried the weight of his price tag.

Now, a few months on, Ward insists the transfer was the correct decision for his client, insisting the youngster is reaping the rewards at the Etihad Stadium.

Quoted in an article on the London Evening Standard's website, Ward states: "Moving to City was right for Raheem, even if Liverpool fans don’t want to accept that. At City, he now has a licence to thrill."

"At Liverpool, Raheem was asked to play as a full-back, just like Emre Can was asked to play as a central defender when he is a midfielder. That wasn’t going to help him develop as a player.

"He has gone up a tier. Manuel Pellegrini has played him in a wide role with the freedom to drift inside and he has also played as a central striker."

Sterling is likely to feature against his former club when the two sides meet on Saturday...

Elsewhere, there could be a new deal on the cards for one of City's best performers this season, according to Team Talk.

An article reads: "Manchester City have reportedly opened talks over a two-year contract extension for Brazilian midfielder Fernandinho.

ferna

"The midfielder endured a poor campaign last term but looks to be back to his best this season, scoring three times and assisting two more in City’s midfield.

"The 30-year-still arrived from Shakhtar Donetsk two and a half years ago for a fee of £30million fee, but has just over 18 months left on the four-year deal he agreed upon his arrival at the Etihad.

"City boss Manuel Pellegrini, however, is keen to tie the Brazilian down to a new deal and the club has reportedly opened talks with the player’s agent over a two-year extension, which would tie him to the club until the summer of 2019."

Meanwhile, as mentioned in yesterday's round-up, Juventus are allegedly interested in securing the services of Samir Nasri.

Today, however, there's a reported snag. Forza Italian Football claim: "Samir Nasri is another good option for sporting director Giuseppe Marotta; the French winger can play on the trequartista position and on the wing as well, completing an impressive attack with Juan Cuadrado on the opposite side of the pitch.

"Nonetheless, his salary is considered too high for Juventus’ pockets."

web-Samir-celebration

There's more transfer gossip too, as the Daily Mail believe City are keeping tabs on Rennes' Ousmane Dembele.

Writes Simon Jones: "The 18-year-old signed his first professional contract at Rennes last month and is regarded as one of the brightest forward talents emerging in France.

"Chelsea, Borussia Dortmund, Atletico Madrid and Red Bull Salzburg have also made regular checks on his progress with the Austrians making a £1.7m offer last summer.

"Dembele has been watched by City for several months and it is understood they have had strong recommendations from Patrick Vieira prior to his departure for New York City.

"Rennes have protected their asset by tying Dembele to professional terms but City are now weighing up an offer. The teenager plays on the left wing but is comfortable on the right too or as a secondary striker."

Finally, in other news, Belgium's game against Spain has been cancelled.

First Team News

International duty: City stars in action

First Team News

Roberts explains 'rock, paper, scissors' penalty

First Team News

Aguero impressed by new teammates

Sergio Aguero celebrates scoring against Chelsea

Sergio Aguero believes City strengthened well in the summer with Kevin De Bruyne and Nicolas Otamendi in particular impressing the Argentina star.