quote

What the Media Says

Video 1 Gallery

Mirror: City turn attentions to Wilshere

What the MEDIA says finished

What the MEDIA says finished

We’re homing in on 50 days until the start of the 2015/16 season and there is no let-up in the transfer rumour and speculation game with City of course featuring in a host of meaty stories this morning.

City’s apparent second bid for Raheem Sterling was rejected late on Wednesday evening according to The Mirror and while the Blues chiefs mull over a third attempt at signing the Liverpool winger, Arsenal’s Jack Wilshere has emerged as another priority summer target.

“Deposed champions City are expected to make an initial £30million move for Arsenal midfielder Wilshere.

“That comes after a £40m bid for Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling was rejected late on Wednesday.

“While City consider whether to raise their bid - which included £5m in add-ons - for the 20-year-old a second time, they will turn their attention to Wilshere.

“The Blues are desperate to boost the number of ‘home-grown’ players on their books and England international Wilshere fits the bill - although last week he warned he would not sign for a club based on fulfilling a nationality quota.

“The Gunners' 23-year-old star, who scored his first England goals in Sunday's win over Slovenia, was fined £40,000 and warned about his future conduct on Wednesday after admitting a charge of making inciting comments during Arsenal’s open-top bus celebrations following their victory in last month’s FA Cup final.

“Meanwhile, Liverpool made it clear they are currently in no mood to do business with City over winger Sterling, who has refused to sign a new contract.

“The American-owned Reds are adamant City will need to add millions to their offer and have also told them they will accept only a cash deal - with no players added in to bump up the value.

“City had tried to include the likes of strikers Edin Dzeko, Stevan Jovetic and Alvaro Negredo in their early negotiations.

“Liverpool's principal shareholders John Henry and Mike Gordon were immersed in meetings on Wednesday, where they indicated their stance hasn’t changed from a position which bluntly stated they have no need to sell.”

As City’s quest to sign English talent intensifies, there are reports that one homegrown youngster is close to completing a switch to the Etihad Stadium.

“Manchester City have agreed an £8m deal to sign Fulham's highly-promising Patrick Roberts,” claim The Mirror.

“Roberts, 18, has turned down a new contract at Fulham to push through the deal to City who are set to sign him - and then immediately loan him out.

“They are likely to send him to a Championship club - Fulham have asked about a loan back - or another team in the Premier League.

“England under-19 starlet Roberts is regarded as one of the country's best prospects and will also help City boost their home grown quota.

“City are likely to pay the majority of the fee up front with add-ons to follow.”

Elsewhere, following a bruising encounter with Uruguay earlier this week, Sergio Aguero has dispelled fears of a damaged shoulder sustained whilst diving to head the spectacular only goal for Argentina in the Copa America clash.

The City striker was pictured enjoying a joke with Lionel Messi, Pablo Zabaleta and Angel Di Maria during a training session in Chile yesterday.

Check out the gallery of snaps on the Daily Mail.

That’s all from What The Media Says Today. Remember, nothing is official until you’ve seen it confirmed on mcfc.co.uk! Let us know what you think of the latest rumour and gossip on Twitter.

First Team News

City A to Z: Q is for...?

The British love a good Q, so we're told - so here's out favourite Qs as we progress through the MCFC A-Z...

First Team News

Talking Points: April is the cruellest month?

First Team News

Argentina win made in Manchester