The transfer window is set to bang shut and then be firmly locked in less than two weeks’ time.
Why is it never said to be closed quietly? Answers on a postcard.
Anyway, all this means that transfer rumours are ramping up again after being reduced to a welcome line or two in previous weeks.
We’ll begin with Alvaro Negredo, who was said to be attracting the attention of Valencia yesterday – well, Real Madrid have now muscled in on his headlines.
According to Goal, the Spanish giants are considering the City striker as alternative should a move for Radamel Falcao fail to materialise.
Incidentally, the Colombian was linked with a move to the Etihad in yesterday’s papers. It’s just one big transfer rumour merry go round!
The website’s Paul Clennam reports: “The Spanish giants are in the market for a centre forward to provide competition to Karim Benzema and are considering alternative options should Radamel Falcao's proposed switch to the Bernabeu fail to materialise.
“Negredo, who City value at £20 million, began last season in devastating fashion although lost his scoring touch in the second half of the campaign and failed to find the back of the net during the final four months of the campaign.
“Goal understands that, as a result of the striker's family ties in Valencia, he would be open to a move to the Mestalla although a late intervention from Madrid, who are being asked to be kept abreast of developments, could be decisive.
“The 29-year-old, who had a spell with the Real Madrid B team earlier in his career before being offloaded to Almeria, would be open to a return to Spain and Carlo Ancelotti's side will likely be unperturbed by City's £20m asking price.”
One striker who isn’t going anywhere this summer is Stevan Jovetic, according to a report in today’s Mirror.
The Montenegrin wowed everyone in pre-season and Manuel Pellegrini is said to consider the 24-year-old a major part of his 2014/15 plans.
Although the Mirror claims that Juventus haven’t got that memo yet…
Writes the paper’s David McDonnell: “Manchester City will rebuff any attempt by Juventus to sign Stevan Jovetic.
“The Italian side are keen on taking £20million-rated Jovetic - who joined City from Fiorentina last summer - back to Italy.
“Jovetic's debut campaign at City was wrecked by injuries, but boss Manuel Pellegrini still sees the 24-year-old as a key player this season.
“Having impressed in pre-season, Jovetic started Citys' 2-0 win at Newcastle last Sunday, as Pellegrini's men began the defence of their title.”
Sticking with Juventus, apparently they have their beady eye on another City man in the shape of Matija Nastasic – that one’s according to the Manchester Evening News.
The defender is reportedly a target for Roma and Napoli, as well as the Old Lady, and there is speculation a potential sale of Mehdi Benatia to Bayern Munich could leave Roma the money to snap up the young Serbian defender.
Scribes Stuart Brennan: “At least three Italian clubs are now showing a strong interest in taking Blues defender Matija Nastasic, with Juventus and Roma leading the pack.
“Napoli are also interested but appear to want a loan, whilst City want to sell the £12million rated defender, or at least send him on loan with a permanent deal at the end of it.
“Roma look likely to lose Mehdi Benatia to Bayern Munich, and that will give them the money to take Nastasic, but Juventus could also raise the cash by selling Angelo Ogbonna to one of several suitors.”
Not long now until the window shuts, but in the meantime, we’ll be first with any ins or outs right here on mcfc.co.uk.
(One for the twitter users, that.)
Anyway, it’s been all over the papers that the striker could be on the verge of a return to the Premier League with Liverpool, who coincidentally are the visitors to the Etihad Stadium on Monday night.
So, is a reunion and a debut on the cards?
The Independent’s James Orr explains: “He's said his goodbyes to those in Italy, it now appears that Mario Balotelli's £16m move from Milan to Liverpool will be completed imminently.
“But will he be able to make his debut for the Reds against his former team Manchester City on Monday night? Yes, but only if he is registered with the Premier League before Friday's deadline.
“Their rules state that only players signed and registered before 12pm on Fridays can be eligible for matches on Saturday, Sunday and Monday.”
So, whether you like the idea of him on the pitch or not on Monday, you’ve got about four hours to wait…