First Team News

Video 1 Gallery

Tough time ahead, warns Mancini

Mancini pre pooly

Mancini pre pooly

Roberto Mancini expects a month to test his team to the full in the wake of a second stunning cup defeat in four days at Etihad Stadium.

City's Carling Cup ambitions are in peril after Steven Gerrard's penalty decided a semi-final first leg with the Blues badly missing Vincent Kompany, David Silva and Yaya Toure.

Mancini is hoping that Silva, who injured an ankle in the first half of Sunday's FA Cup derby defeat, will be fit to face Wigan in the Premier League match on Monday night.

But Kompany is banned for three more games and Toure will still be on international duty when title pursuers Tottenham turn up at the Etihad on 22 January.

Blues boss Mancini said: "Tonight we played without three or four important players for us and it was difficult. We will be like this for one month.

But I always believe we can win. They won here this evening, we can win there in 14 days


"Against United it was a strange game. Tonight we were poor in the first half, but we played very well in the second. We had the chance to score but we didn't."

Gerrard's 12th-minute spot kick, awarded for a foul by Stefan Savic on Daniel Agger, turned out to be the difference. Mancini said: "It was probably a penalty, yes. I agree with it."

Just to add to Mancini's problems, Mario Balotelli limped off in the first half, the manager revealing he has had an ankle problem for the past ten days.

As for the badly-missed Silva, he added: "Tomorrow we will see if he can play against Wigan. I don't know how he will be." 

Match Report

City v Liverpool

Savic Action Pooly

Roberto Mancini's ailing Blues must pass one of the toughest tests of their high-pressure season at Anfield in a fortnight's time if they are to reach the Carling Cup Final.

First Team News

City release goalkeepers Gonzalez and Karius

First Team News

Kompany loses derby red card appeal


Vincent Kompany’s four-match ban for a red card in Sunday's defeat to Manchester United has been upheld by the Football Association following an appeal.