Sylvain Distin is staying with Manchester City after the Club called a halt to the defender's proposed move to Middlesbrough.
City accepted an offer from the Riverside for the 28-year-old defender last week, but after the player failed to agree terms Stuart Pearce has now decided to pull the plug on the deal.
With time running out in the transfer window, the Manager wants to maintain as strong a squad as possible and he has reiterated that he never wanted to lose the former captain:
"We've drawn a line under it. I had a meeting with the Chairman and Alistair Mackintosh where it was agreed that something needed to be done. I'm running out of time, and it's tough enough getting a left-sided midfielder let alone another centre-half.
"I spoke with Sylvain and his representatives, and said that if nothing's resolved by Thursday evening he can stay at City. In the conversation I had with him on Wednesday he told me that he never really wanted to leave, which is funny because I never wanted him to leave either.
"The contract's on the table, we're happy with him at this club, he's given great service, I think he will continue to do so this year and, I think, beyond that."