City's development side will compete in the NextGen series against Europe's best, including the champions of Italy, Germany and Holland.
The NextGen Series is a Europe-wide competition showcasing football’s finest young stars from 24 of Europe’s elite football clubs.
City will join Juventus, Chelsea, Paris Saint-Germain, Arsenal, CSKA Moscow, RSC Anderlecht, Olympiacos, Borussia Dortmund and other European greats who will all compete for the coveted NextGen Trophy.
The tournament has proven a huge success in its first year, providing Europe’s finest youth talent with a solid platform on which to hone their skills in a competitive international environment.
The six groups for the NextGen Series 2012/13 are:
- Group One - FC Barcelona, Tottenham Hotspur,RSC Anderlecht, Vfl Wolfsburg.
- Group Two - Manchester City FC, Juventus Football Club, Paris Saint-Germain, Fenerbahce.
- Group Three - Chelsea FC, AFC Ajax, CSKA Moscow, Molde FK.
- Group Four - Sporting Clube de Portugal, Celtic FC, Aston Villa FC, PSV Eindhoven.
- Group Five - Liverpool FC, Borussia Dortmund, Internazionale, Rosenborg BK.
- Group Six - Arsenal FC, Athletico Bilbao, Olympique de Marseille, Olympiacos.
City EDS Manager, Andy Welsh, is excited by the prospect of facing some of Europe's biggest clubs and thinks the EDS side is in a stronger position than last season
“We are a young side but this group of players has been together for a while and they will only get stronger. This will hopefully be reflected in improved results and consistency in the coming season."
Having played against Marseille and Barcelona last year, the benefit of playing regularly against top European opposition is not lost on the manager who commented,
"The Marseille game last season was a great experience for the players. We want to prepare the EDS group for first team football as thoroughly as possible.
With City now competing at the top of the Premier League and in the Champions League, the NextGen Series provides the opportunity for players to gain valuable experience against Europe's elite."
It’s a journey into the unknown and one we are going to enjoy.
The first game for the City boys will be against Paris Saint-Germain at Hyde. Further details will be announced as soon as they are available.