EDS News

Video 1 Gallery

Defeat for reserves as Sunderland take title

Regional Athletic Arena

Regional Athletic Arena

Manchester City Res 0-3 Sunderland Res

Tuesday, April 14th, 2009, 7pm

Regional Sports Arena - Att: 131

City:  Martin, Kay, Morris, Paldan, Ramsey, Tsiaklis, Weiss, Clayton, Ball, Daly (Cieslewicz), Moore.

Unused subs: E Johansen, Frater, Grandison, Paris.

Sunderland: Colgan, Kay, Hartley (Brown), Meyler, M'voto, Nosworthy, Weir (Noble), Chandler, Waghorn, Colback, Cook (Madden).

Unused subs: Carson, Adams..

Goals:  0-1 (M'voto 44), 0-2 (Colback 58), 0-3 (Chantler 84)






Sunderland came to the Regional Athletics Arena on an overcast evening looking for the win that would secure the Barclays Premier Reserve League North title. A draw would not do, and a win for City would leave Newcastle and Manchester United with a shout of overhauling the Black Cats. There were a few familiar faces around – Raymond van der Gouw in the Sunderland dug-out, Tony Book and Derek Fazackerley in amongst the scouts.

Adam Clayton nearly opened the scoring in the first minute, firing a left-footed volley over the bar, but three minutes later M’voto saw his powerful header at a corner touched onto the bar by Richard Martin.

Vladimir Weiss looked to be City’s most potent threat down the right, and he should have put his side into the lead after 29 minutes.  The Slovakian was hauled down by Hartley inside the area and elected to take the penalty, but his attempt, low to the left of Colgan, was comfortably saved by the Sunderland keeper. The Black Cats went on the attack to try to make the most of the let-off, Colback volleying just wide from a corner a minute later.

Nyron Nosworthy was easily the most experienced player on show, but he nearly allowed David Ball a chance with three minute to the break, smacking a clearance into his partner M’voto that fell to Ball – but his first-time shot was charged down and cleared.

Within seconds Sunderland had one hand on the league title when they went ahead after 44 minutes. Waghorn’s free kick from near the corner flag was met by Jean Yves M’voto, who guided his header past Martin and into the far corner.

City put the pressure on after the break with a succession of corners, but the visitors hot them on the break after 58 minutes to go tow ahead. Scott Kay dithered in defence, the ball went out to Waghorn and his pin-point cross to Jack Colback was headed home back across the helpless Richard Martin.

The City stopper made a couple more fine saves, and he could count himself unlucky when Sunderland sealed the game with six minutes left. Jamie Chandler’s shot drew an excellent block from Martin, but the rebound fell perfectly to the Sunderland midfielder, who rammed the ball into an empty net with Martin still grounded.

Late attempts from Clayton and Tsiaklis came to naught, and when full time came Sunderland had deservedly won the Barclays Premier Reserve League North title.  

EDS News

International EDS v Everton

EDS News


EDS News

International EDS v Everton