EDS News

Video 1 Gallery

Reserves beat Wigan

Image missing

Image missing

Welcome win for reserves

Manchester City v Wigan Athletic 

Tuesday April 1, 2008, 7.00pm
Regional Athletics Arena - Att:

City: Martin, M Daly, Williamson, Breen (c), McDonald, Mouritsen, C;ayton, Grimes, Cunningham (Redshaw 64), Marshall, Moore.

unused subs: Johansen, Cieslewicz, Brown, Morris.

Wigan: Postlethwaite, Moore, Mustoe, Routledge, Meace, Kirkbride, Hampson (McManaman 87), Holt (Prince 75), McCaughtrie, Cywka, Kupisz.

unused subs: McArdle, Porter, King.

Goals: 0-1 (Hampson 20), 1-1 (Grimes 33), 2-1 (Cunningham 52), 3-1 (Moore 75), 3-2 (Cwyka 90)


City: Grimes (35)

Wigan: Moore (35)

The Match:

With the clocks having gone forward, the game kicked off in daylight – a welcome change after the dark days of winter! Sven-Goran Eriksson and Derek Fazackerley were in attendance to run the rule over some of City’s up-and-coming hopefuls.

In blustery conditions, City had the game’s first chance after 12 minutes. Clayton’s cross from the right was met by the head of Karl Moore, who forced Postlethwaite into a good save as he tipped the ball over his bar.

But the visitors took the lead seven minutes later, Matthew Hampson’s free kick from 25 yards out going over & round the wall and past flying past Richard Martin’s left hand.

Ashley Grimes nearly added to his impressive tally for the season just before the half hour, a fine move ending with when he hit the side netting from a tight angle. But he made amends on 33 minutes, slotting it across Postlethwaite and into the bottom corner of the net, although Wigan were unhappy with Hampson having stayed down after a challenge at the other end as City began the goalscoring move.

City’s goalscorer was booked two minutes later along with Wigan’s Peter Moore after the pair squared up, and the tackles flew in thick and fast as the game briefly became heated afterwards.

The Blues could have gone into the break a goal up, but after a goalmouth scramble Wigan cleared and it stayed at 1-1.

It was the same story six minutes into the second half, a Paul Marshall free kick catching the wind and nearly deceiving Postlethwaite.The keeper pushed the ball onto the bar, and after the ball dropped Greg Cunningham put the ball wide.

But a minute later he made amends, driving the ball home from near the penalty spot to put City into the lead.

We were in the driving seat now, Mouritsen’s low drive being beaten away by Postlethwaite on 55 minutes, and Clayton McDonald’s header was cleared off the line seconds later. At the other end, Richard Martin made a fine save to deny Matt Hampson.

City hit back, with Gary Breen heading over and Ashley Grimes forcing another save from Postlethwaite.

The lead was doubled with a quarter of an hour left, Karl Moore cutting in from the right to drive it home with his left foot, the number 11 latching on to a cute flick from Ashley Grimes.

Wigan clawed one back in stoppage time from another free kick, Tomasz Cwyka’s effort taking a deflection past Martin, but thankfully there was not enough time for another and City had a deserved three points in the bag.



EDS News

Derby defeat for young reserve side

City of Manchester Stadium

The experience of a United side featuring Gary Neville and Mikael Silvestre eventually told in Thursday night’s reserve derby at Northwich Victoria.

EDS News

Reserves draw with Blackburn

Image missing

James Poole's 83rd minute goal secured a well deserved point as a young City reserve side fought back for a 1-1 draw away to Blackburn Rovers.

EDS News

Reserves win at Northwich