EDS & Academy

u18s 0 Wolves 2

u18s 0 Wolves 2
No Image
Wed 18 Feb
City u18s were bitten twice by Wolves as they went down to a pair of second half strikes at the City Football Academy.

Jason Wilcox’s side enjoyed plenty of possession but struggled to create in the final third and the visitors took full advantage to of their opportunities to take all three points back down the M6 to the Black Country.

Following last weekend’s triumph over Stoke, City were aiming to solidify claims for a top four spot with back-to-back victories in a competitive u18 Premier League, while looking to complete the double over a side they beat 3-0 at the start of the campaign.  

Still short of a number of players, Wilcox was able to recall Zackarias Faour, Cameron Humphreys and Javairo Dilrosun to the line-up after the trio returned from international duty, but the bench still possessed a youthful look with spaces for u16 pair Jacob Davenport and Joe Hardy.

Wolves sprang out of the metaphorical blocks and hit the post within the first 60 seconds after causing confusion from a corner, but City soon found the antidote to the visitors’ snarl and began to take control of possession.

In a first half of few clear-cut opportunities, City enjoyed the best of the territory but found it difficult to overcome a stoic Wolves defence who were swift to cut out attempts at delicate through balls.  

Paolo Fernandes had a low shot saved at the near post while Faour should probably have done better when through on goal but his touch forced him too wide of the target. The pair then combined to create one of the best chances of the half, as Fernandes twisted and turned to leave his opposite number in a daze before cutting back for Faour, who was unlucky to see his shot blocked by a defender’s leg.

Aaron Nemane tried a powerful effort from distance but could only find the gloves of keeper Harry Burgoyne while Dilrosun struck the ball into the torso of an opposing defender as City struggled to carve open the back line.

The game sparked into life after the break as first the Wolves striker lashed a shot wide and then City full back Callum Bullock directed a long range effort some way off target before Wanderers finally broke the deadlock.

With both sides largely redueced to pot shots from distance it was little surprise to see the goal coming from a full 30 yards out, with the dipping effort fooling stopper Charlie Albinson and flying into the roof of the net.

City continued to enjoy good possession and worked hard to try and find the equaliser. Dilrosun saw his effort deflected behind while substitute Joe Hardy, who made a goalscoring debut appearance against Stoke, was desperately unlucky to see his header fly over the bar after showing off excellent technique.

At the other end, Humphreys was forced to clear off the line after a quick Wolves break while another shot skimmed just the other side of Albinson’s post as the visitors had their share of chances.

City sought to apply some late pressure and Garcia saw his effort sail narrowly the wrong side of the crossbar but it was not to be as the visitors made sure of the three points with a second goal late on.

Wilcox’s men will have a chance to respond within days when they take on Bolton Wanderers at home on Saturday. 

News about Man City v Wolves"

View all club partners