EDS & Academy

Bolton 0 City 7

Bolton 0 City 7
No Image
Sat 1 Nov
City u18s regained the league summit in style, thrashing Bolton 7-0 in the North West winter sunshine.

The club’s youngsters had to ride out some early pressure from the hosts, but after Aaron Nemane found the net on the half hour mark the result never truly looked in doubt and in the second half City ran riot.

Denzeil Boadu turned in a Man of the Match performance on his return from injury and claimed a second half hat-trick, and there were strong performances all over the park from the boys in blue who demonstrated why they sit top of the Premier League North Division.

Ahead of kick off, City were aiming to extend their unbeaten run to three games and retain a record of having lost just once so far this season.

Jason Wilcox made five changes from the side who started the last-gasp draw with Newcastle last time out. Cameron Humphreys dropped to the bench after his recent exploits with England u17s in Cyprus, while Boadu started his first game following injury and Manu Garcia.

It was the hosts who started the quicker, finding their rhythm almost straight from kick off. Within the first two minutes the Trotters sent a wonderful ball flashing across the face of goal and the striker should have found the back of the net, but miscued his shot wide.

City failed to heed the warning, and Albinson was called upon twice in the early stages – first getting down well to smother the ball and then staying alert to tip a corner over the bar.

However, Wilcox’s young side grew into the game, and Nemane came agonisingly close to putting his side ahead after 22 minutes, firing a powerful effort on goal after being sent clear on the right and drawing an excellent reaction stop from the keeper.

Nemane made up for it minutes later, seizing the ball in a crowded penalty area and sending the ball squirming over the line at the second attempt.

Sensing blood, City poured forward and Isaac Buckley drew a great save while Boadu had a shot blocked before Celina doubled the advantage shortly before the break.

If the first goal was scruffy, the second made up for it as the Kosovan forward ran beyond the defence to latch onto a perfect pass from Adarabioyo and finish perfectly.

City picked up where they left off after the break and within three minutes of the restart had a third. Boadu twisted and turned his way through the defence before firing across the keeper and into the corner.

Bolton had no answer to the swift, attacking moves from the young blues and Nemane was on hand to apply the finishing touch to a lightning counter attack started by Buckley and continued in fine fashion by Celina.

Boadu robbed the ball after a poor back pass and made it five, while Buckley should have had the sixth shortly after the hour mark but could only fire high over the bar after more good work from his no.10.

The Trotters smacked one effort against the crossbar but the second half was all about City, who refused to rest on their laurels. Buckley chased an apparent lost ball to keep an attack alive, while the excellent Marcus Wood raced back to put in a perfectly-timed sliding tackle to cut short a Bolton counterattack.

Buckley did add a sixth for City on the 69 minute mark after the ball was crossed to the right and he volleyed home in style, while Zackarias Faour and Celina each had chances to increase the lead even further, but both found the gloves of the opposing keeper in the way.

The hosts did find the back of the net with 10 minutes left but the linesman had long since raised his flag for offside, although Charlie Oliver went down seeing stars in trying to prevent the header.

There was just time for Boadu to round off a perfect injury comeback with his hat-trick shortly before the final whistle and make it seven, although there was absolutely nothing lucky about the scoreline after a sensational second half display. 

News about v Man City"

View all club partners