EDS & Academy

Manchester United v Manchester City u18s

Manchester United v Manchester City u18s
No Image
Sat 1 Feb
City u18s claimed all three points and the local bragging rights after beating Manchester United 2-0 at the Aon Training Complex.

A goal in either half from striker Thierry Ambrose was enough to secure a second derby victory in a week, after the EDS emerged triumphant on Monday night.

City were looking to extend a winning run stretching all the way back to last October. United themselves were the last side to deny the young Blues all three points, a late penalty ensuring the spoils were shared when the two sides met at Platt Lane.

For this neighbourly meeting, Jason Wilcox made just two changes from the side that despatched Sunderland last time out

Mathias Bossaerts came in for Nathaniel Oseni, meaning there was another new pairing in the centre of defence as Ash Smith-Brown continued his unfamiliar role at centre back. Olivier Ntcham came in for Denzeil Boadu in midfield, to play alongside Jack Byrne and Kean Bryan.

Bersant Celina, scorer of City’s second goal against the Black Cats, was among the substitutes. 

In a first half blighted by poor conditions, both teams found it difficult to adjust to a roaring wind which made even simple passes reasonably tricky, and long balls a gamble.

City started the brighter, keeping possession well and making it difficult for United to gain a foothold on the ball. Olivier Ntcham had a shot blocked before Ambrose fired the Blues into the lead after 10 minutes, gratefully seizing on a dreadful clearance and confidently smacking the ball home.

It was the game’s first real opportunity, and chances were scarce as the half progressed. Brandon Barker had a shot blocked and Angelino blazed the ball high and wide as the Blues searched to double their advantage before half time.

It remained 1-0 at the break, and the boy Blues thoroughly deserved their lead after a one-sided opening period. Playing into the wind in the second half, City adapted to the conditions and Barker forced Henderson to save with his feet after a strong run down the left hand side.

Jorge Intima played through Ntcham, who was tackled in the box, and Billy O’Brien was finally called upon as United mustered their first shot on goal with over an hour gone. The City stopper pushed away Riley’s shot and cut off the angles to force the rebound into the sidenetting.

The second half was blighted by an injury to substitute Pablo Maffeo, and the striker used all his strength to hold off the defender and place the ball neatly into the corner.

The hosts might have had a late consolation when Scott McTominay raced down the pitch but Bossaerts was equal to the challenge and swept the ball away.

In the end it was a comfortable victory for City over their local rivals to earn an incredible 13th victory in a row in all competitions.

Next up for the young Blues is a trip to Bolton next Saturday. 

News about Man United v Man City