Thank you for your interest in taking part in our competition. Before you submit your entry, there are a few important things we need to let you know.
If you are under the age of 13, please read these entry terms with your parent or guardian as your parent or guardian must provide his or her consent to your entry into this competition.
Once you’ve read these terms, you may submit your application provided that you meet the eligibility criteria and agree to these entry terms. These terms are legally binding on both you and us, so please read them carefully and let us know if you have any questions.
The promoter of this competition is Manchester City Football Club Limited, a company registered in England and Wales with company number 40946.
Our registered office is at Etihad Stadium, Etihad Campus, Manchester, M11 3FF, United Kingdom. However, if you need to write to us for any reason you should write to Manchester City Football Club Limited, City Football HQ, North Gate, 400 Ashton New Road, Manchester, M11 4TQ, United Kingdom. Alternatively you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The entry period runs from 7th February 2018 until 12 midnight GMT on 21st March 2018 inclusive. We cannot accept applications made outside this time period.
To be eligible to enter this competition you must be:
- A permanent resident of the United Kingdom.
- Born no earlier than 7 February 2001 and no later than 7 February 2010.
Unfortunately you cannot enter the competition if you have a family member who is employed by Manchester City Football Club or who is otherwise connected with the running of this competition.
How to enter
There is no charge to enter this competition.
To enter you must submit a video of yourself performing the “competition challenge” within the SkillCity app. This will be the first challenge you will see after you sign into the app and there will be a demonstration video for the challenge and a video explaining how to enter and the selection process for the final.
The competition has four age groups (8-10, 11-12, 13-14 and 15-16):
- You will be in the 8 - 10 age group if you were born between 7 February 2007 and 7 February 2010 (including on either of those dates)
- You will be in the 11 - 12 age group if you were born between 7 February 2005 and 6 February 2007 (including on either of those dates)
- You will be in the 13 - 14 age group if you were born between 7 February 2003 and 6 February 2005 (including on either of those dates)
- You will be in the 15 - 16 age group if you were born between 7 February 2001 and 6 February 2003 (including on either of those dates)
You can enter this competition multiple times.
Your entry will be disqualified if:
- You do not provide full contact details.
- You do not provide your date of birth.
- Your entry otherwise does not comply with these entry terms, or you fail to comply with any part of our app user agreement.
Please therefore ensure that you have fully completed the entry form and that your entry fully complies with all applicable rules.
If your contact details change at any time after you submit an application, please email us (or, if you are under the age of 13, have your parent or guardian email us) immediately using the address above to let us know.
Judging and winners
The odds of winning this competition will depend on the number of entries and the assessment of the entry videos by our judging panel (consisting of MCFC employees). Please see below for the timeline and selection process to pick the three finalists per age-group.
The judges will assess entries based on the following criteria to make their final decision:
- Technique of the dribble to approach the cone
- Close ball control
- Manipulation of the ball / ball mastery
- Use of both feet
- Using different parts of the foot
- Skill demonstrated to “beat” the cone
- Execution of the skill
- Complexity and creativity of the skill
- Speed of execution
- Placement of the shot
- Proximity to corners (top or bottom)
- Height (mid height will be penalised)
- The strike
- Pace of shot
- Movement on the ball
- Level of difficulty of the finish
- Disguise of the finish
- Part of the boot used for the finish
If you qualify for the final, we will contact you (or your parent / guardian) during the week commencing 26th March using the contact details you or they provided through the app. Please provide an email address you or your parent / guardian regularly check.
The finals will take place during half time on Manchester City matchdays on 13th April and 21st April.
The final will take on a slightly different form to the qualifying challenge;
- Tyres will replace cones to be dribbled around
- A goalkeeper will be used for the final
- The scoring system for the final will be as follows:
- Each player will perform the dribble and shot circuit with two balls
- The player will be timed
- o-2 seconds for a shot on target
- o-10 seconds for a goal
- The player with the quickest time wins the Nexen skills challenge final for their age group
- Nexen Skill Challenge trophy for the winner of each age group.
- Medals for runners up.
- Gift bags for all finalists (including shirt, certificate and club shop gifts).
- All finalists will receive a match ticket for themselves and parent / guardian to enjoy the Swansea match.
Restrictions and conditions
Your right to participate in the UK final at a City matchday is conditional upon you being available on 13th and 21st April and promptly responding to any request that we make of you and our determination of your eligibility.
You must acknowledge and confirm your attendance at the Nexen Skill Challenge final within seven days of being notified that you have qualified.
If you do not confirm your attendance at the Nexen Skill Challenge final or otherwise promptly respond to our requests or are found to be ineligible, then we reserve the right to withdraw the offer and, where appropriate, to offer it to the next placed participant.
Prizes are non-transferable and cannot be exchanged for cash or other prizes.
Prior to your attendance at the Nexen Skill Challenge final we may ask you and your accompanying adult to provide suitable proof of identity and to sign a copy of these entry terms. This is a condition of confirming your place at Nexen Skill Challenge final and if you or your accompanying adult fails to do so the offer will be withdrawn.
Use of data
Videos which are submitted as entries to the competition will be viewed solely by the judging panel to assess the entries and select the finalists.
We will use the email data provided during sign-up to contact you or your parent / guardian to acknowledge your registration and entry, review your video and let you know if you have been selected for the final.
We may require any winner to participate in publicity, and reserve the right to use your name, photograph, likeness or other identifying characteristics in any publicity or promotion. We will require the finalists to conduct a short interview pitch side, which will be filmed and distributed on Manchester City’s Facebook page.
Release and indemnity
By entering this competition you agree to release us from any liability to you to the maximum extent permitted by law and to reimburse us on demand for any loss, damage, cost or expense we incur as a result of your failure to comply with these entry terms.
Modification, suspension of termination of competition
Whilst we intend to run the competition as described in these entry terms, we reserve the right to modify, suspend or terminate the competition at any time without liability to you where its operation is affected by events outside our reasonable control, for example technical failure, malicious activity, fraudulent entries or security concerns, or if we have reason to believe that any part of the competition (or of these entry terms) may be unlawful or otherwise void, restricted or prohibited in any part of the United Kingdom from which we are accepting entries. We will notify you promptly if we need to do this.
Governing law and jurisdiction
These entry terms and the competition are governed by English law, and by agreeing to these entry terms you accept the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts in relation to any dispute arising under these entry terms or in connection with your participation in the competition.